Friday, November 29, 2013

Five Quick Hits On College Basketball


Hello everybody!

I hope Thanksgiving was all you wanted it to be, and if you went out for black friday I hope you didn't get into too many fights.

Lets get down to it: Five quick hits on college basketball

1. This class of college basketball talent is special.

There's no denying the freshmen hype with this college basketball class. From the likes of Kentucky's Julius Randle, Andrew Wiggins of Kansas, Jabari Parker of Duke, and Aaron Gordon out of Arizona. I'm watching Duke vs Arizona while I write this. Don't forget about sophomore star, Marcus Smart. If all of them enter the draft after this season, I think they'll all go at least in the top-ten of the draft. It might not be that big of a stretch to say they all go top five, either. I'll talk more about these guys in a bit.

2. Is Michigan State truly the best team in the country?

I'm not entirely sure. They're good. Don't get me wrong. They beat Kentucky, but the Wildcats always struggle in the early going. They have some quality players; Gary Harris, Adreian Payne, and Keith Appling are no joke. They have a top flight coach in Tom Izzo. I can't put my finger on it, but something tells me right now they won't win the title.

3. I know some people have already said this, but Aaron Gordon is basically a carbon copy of Blake Griffin.

They're similar in size.They can jump out of the gym. The potential is staring you right in the face. I think Arizona's favorite play is throw it near the rim and let Aaron Gordon find a way to score. What I've seen of him I've liked. I just hope he can expand into an all-around game.

4. I hate Duke. The crazy thing is I love Jabari Parker.

He's so good. He was the first kid in Simeon's history to start on the varsity as a freshmen. Some guy named Derrick Rose didn't even have that chance. Depending on who you asked, they probably said Parker or Wiggins was the best player in the recruiting class last year. He can play the 3,4 and even the 5 depending on the type of line-up on the floor. He can shoot from anywhere on the floor. Play with his back to the basketball as well as defend his position. What more can you ask for?

5. Marcus Smart made a smart move in returning to school.

Marcus Smart was pretty good last year. What do ya know, he got even better! He's averaging 22.5 ppg so far. Against Memphis, he went bonkers. He dropped 39 points. He said the major thing he wanted to work on in the offseason was his outside shooting. Last year he shot around 29%. So far, he's shooting 40%! It's a pretty small sample size, nonetheless, the kid can play!


Thanks for reading!

Follow me on Twitter @TheLanceMorris

I post when I'm announcing games with the Bowling Green Radio Sports Organization as well as little tidbits about everything else going on in my life.

I have two radio shows, you can follow them on Twitter as well:
@Ball_Night Mondays at 8 AM on falconradio.org
@OrangeBrownWBGU Tuesdays at 6 PM on wbgufm.com if you're in the Bowling Green,OH area tune in live on 88.1 FM

You can also find them on the Tunein-Radio app on your smartphone.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Recent Post

2017 NBA Draft, Draft Diary: Volume One