Thursday, September 5, 2019

Post Draft Recap - LeBron League 2.0 - 2019


It actually hasn't been a while? How about that?!

Football is finally back! High school and college football came back last week and the NFL isn't far behind.

Did you guys know the Browns got Odell Beckham Jr? Some people might have missed it. I can't wait for the Browns season.

Well that is 'real' football at least. Today we are talking about Fantasy Football. I really do love fantasy football. I have been doing a yearly recap of this particular league (aside from last season, I was busy okay) for the last handful of years. The first one dates back to 2013. (Wait, 2013? Damn I'm getting old) The LeBron 2.0 league as it is called for reasons that defy logic. I don't know why the first one was called the LeBron league either. I'm not the commissioner; what do you want me to do? I can't deal with this guy:



Nothing too crazy about the details about this league. 10 teams, 0.5 PPR, you start a QB, 2 RB's, 2 WR, a TE, a FLEX, a defense and a kicker. I've been trying for several years to do a few things. One is eliminate kickers. Rooting for a kicker in an actual game sucks. Why would I want to do that in fantasy football too? Fantasy football should at its base be fun. Kickers can join Art Briles in hell.

The other thing I've mentioned before was to change the draft from snake format to an auction. This season is actually a great example, but you can make the argument pretty much every year. Let's say you're a Giants fan. First, I'm sorry. Second you probably love Saquon Barkley like he is a member of your family. Well unless the mythical ping pong balls bounce your way you won't get him on your team. Yes, I'm aware that there's no possible way for everyone to have him on their team. (Don't bring up daily fantasy to me. It's irrelevant in this argument.) My point is that if I really want him I can spend X amount of my allotted budget on him.

Have I ever actually done a fantasy auction? No.

Does it sound like fun? Hell yes it does.

Power hungry commissioner... Wait, I mean, Austin. Think about it.

Now let's take a look at the different teams in the league and see how they drafted.

Two things I don't care about. The defense and the kicker. Don't pick them higher than you have to. I don't want to waste time talking about those two spots. The Jags were picked stupid early last season and how did that go for you? (Note, they weren't as bad as I thought, still way too early for them though)

Let's look at Andre's team, team name - A Team Deserve No Name





My thoughts - Game of Thrones is over, bro. Let it go.

The starting lineup looks okay. Russell Wilson should be a top ten qb as he usually is. The price tag was a bit higher on James Conner this season but he will do well in Pittsburgh. I really like Kerryon Johnson. Hopkins is incredible. Chris Godwin is meh. I guess someone has to catch the ball in Tampa Bay. Ertz is one of the top three tight ends. Tyler Boyd is also meh to me. Someone has to catch whatever Andy Dalton attempts to throw. Ha, Andy Dalton.

His bench is alright. Lindsay could be a flex play certain weeks and a good fill-in during the byes. Does Robby Anderson think that hair looks good or? Murray has a clear role in New Orleans. Corey Davis has the potential to be a breakout candidate, again.  Larry Fitzgerald is about as steady as they come. Henderson will be the change of pace back with the Rams so he has a low ceiling but a high floor.
I think he has a good but not great team.

Grade for Andre - B-

Let's look at Brian's team, team name - In My Thielens





My thoughts - Well the first thing that sticks out to me is starting Jimmy G over Aaron Rodgers. 

You don't draft Rodgers as high as you do to not start him. I don't care if the Bears have a good defense. Start him. 

This team screams oh sh*t. Le'Veon Bell and Antonio Brown on the same team again. Bell could be incredible and there's a decent chance he is, but with all the drama that has surrounded Antonio Brown I'm not touching him this year. (As I was editing this it comes out that he got in an altercation and may get suspended) It's one thing after another and he hasn't played a real game yet. Josh Jacobs has a lot of upside though. Thielen is really good. I'm surprised Kyle Rudolph still is with the Vikings. DJ Moore had some flashes last year.

On the bench you should have Jimmy G. That is if you really want two QB's. Singletary should be the lead back in Buffalo with McCoy ousted. DK Metcalf probably won't do much this season and he's already been banged up. I love Carlos Hyde. Like as I do any former Ohio State running back. There's something you should know about him though. He's not very good anymore. -ducks-

Chris Thompson has some value as a pass catcher. DeSean Jackson might still have a good game or two, but will you know when they will be? No. Because no one does. Terry McLaurin is a good flier who could have value in Washington.

Grade for Brian - C-

Let's look at Kevin's team, team name - Deshaun What Son!!! (What are you yelling about?)





My thoughts - Am I missing the joke with his team name or is it just stupid? (Edit, he changed it after I took the screen shot.)

I think Watson will have a big season. I don't like all the things I've heard about Gurley. Lots of things concerning his knees. With where he's been selected in most drafts I don't think I would ever end up with him. Chris Carson is alright. He is helped by how often Seattle runs. Julio is insane. Amari Cooper became more of who we thought he could be once he got moved to Dallas. Jared Cook. Ugh, I'm tired of this guy. If anyone can do something good over a whole season it would be Drew Brees but good luck. Duke Johnson is an okay flex play. Who know exactly what he will do though in his first season in Houston.

On the bench Marvin Jones is an overqualified bench receiver. Curtis Samuel could have value. I think I have made my thoughts clear on Dak Prescott. (I don't think he is good at football) Gallup could maybe have value this year. Ditto for Sutton. Why in the hell do you have three tight ends. Pick your favorite and drop the other two. You're wasting bench spots.

Starters are fine but the bench isn't utilized well.

Grade for Kevin - B-

Let's look at Austin's team, team name - Lil Weeb, again I guess.





My thoughts - Oh here we go again, commish.

Starters look pretty solid. I don't trust Cam. I love Cam, but he's always hurt. David Johnson still had a good fantasy season with all the crap going on with the Cardinals. Joe Mixon same kind of thing with the Bengals. I like Cooks more as a two than as a one. The Rams just spread things around so well. Lockett is the best pass catcher on a team that doesn't throw as much as they probably should. Evan Engram is the best pass catcher for the Giants. Not like that's saying much but still. Derrick Henry has to be one of the most frustrating fantasy players ever. You start him and he sucks. You bench him and he goes off. Ugh.

On the bench you have another one of the most frustrating fantasy players ever in Josh Gordon. I'm a Browns fan. Enough said there. Breida could get some work in this season but I feel like that's a running back by committee situation. Will Fuller got hurt as I typed this. Having Brady as a back up is fine, but you probably only play him when Watson is on a bye. I would use that bench spot for someone else. Ditto for not having Walker on the bench. Sanu is probably only going to be a factor in fantasy if people get hurt around him in Atlanta.

Grade for Austin - C

Let's look at Jon Oh's team, team name - Your Girl Diggs My JuJu





My thoughts -

I really like his starters. The only issue with Wentz has been health. Granted that's a big concern, but I think he will have a great season. McCaffrey is a top five back. Cook has injury issues too, but he could have a big season with their new offense. I feel like I'm more bullish on JuJu than others are. I feel like people are just expecting him to be the next Antonio Brown when Brown (as crazy as he is) is a generational talent. I think he's good; I don't think he's THAT good. Kittle is one of the top three tight ends. White is a good flex play.

The bench could be utilized better. You have one of the best tight ends. Don't worry about carrying another one. In a ten team league you also don't need a back up QB or a back up defense. Shepard could have value because who else catches passes for the Giants? Coleman may be the lead back with the 49ers, but like I said earlier I think it will be more of a timeshare.

Grade for Jon Oh - Starters B+, Bench D

Let's look at Ben's team, team name - Bruce Jenners Balls, again apparently.





My thoughts - 

I mean having Mahomes is a good start to any team. Yeah QB's are very under valued in fantasy because there are so many good ones, but getting Mahomes in the third round is fine by me. I wonder if Ben is a Georgia fan looking at his running backs. Chubb is going to be a workhorse at least for the first half of the season. Maybe that changes when Kareem Hunt is off his suspension, but he has Hunt too so that could work out nicely given how hyped the Browns offense is. Tyreek Hill as long as he's on the field is a threat to go off every week. TY Hilton loses some value going from Luck to Brissett. Hunter Henry is just another guy in the tight end class outside of the top three. Mack is okay. Probably being a flex will be fine depending on the week.

On the bench he has some good fliers. If AJ Green gets healthy he's a top ten wide out. Sanders has been good in the past. Maybe there's a chance he gets back to what he has been at times. I personally don't think Penny is very good. He's no Lane or Hardaway. I already mentioned Hunt. Pettis has some upside. As does Lamar Jackson. Although you're only playing him once or twice with Mahomes on your team. Richard is eh.

Grade for Ben - B-

Let's look at Danny's team, team name - Barkley's Bakery





My thoughts - 

I didn't know Saquon opened up a bakery but at least it's better than his name from the last season. 

Last year his name was 'Lincoln Bluebones'. 

It's the worst fantasy football team name I've ever heard. 

Team Last Name is better than Lincoln Bluebones. I will never let you hear the end for using that name at any point in your lifetime. Before that he was the Blue Sea Unpackers. The second worse team name in the history of fantasy football.

Over the seasons I have used this blog in regards to this fantasy football draft recap to poke holes at Danny and say funny things. This time will be much different:



Ha! Did I fool you? No? Eh, let's continue and look at the actual team. (no promises) 

I'm a Browns fans so there will be no Baker Mayfield negativity here. Barkley stud. Duh. Ingram is okay as an RB2. Allen is awesome. Jeffery may not live up to expectations but he's still the top receiver in Philly. Kelce is one of the top three tight ends. Allen Robinson could be startable (is that a word? Don't care), but I'm not too sure. 

Calvin Ridley is a good bench wide out. I may start Drake over Ingram. At least to start the year. I think Drake is better than Ingram, but Ingram is on a better team. Christian Kirk is okay. So is Cohen, and Barber, and Williams. I don't enjoy saying it, but I think he drafted well. Because of that here are some of my favorite pictures of Danny I have used in these blogs over the last few years. 
Enjoy:



Why did you button the top button without a tie?



I hope LSU stomps Texas this weekend.

Here are some other ones that are too funny not to post:






Believe it or not the last one is from 2018.

Grade for Danny - B+

Let's look at Joe's team, team name - Team Space Force





My thoughts - 

Solid starters for Joe. Matty Ice is always relable. Alvin Kamara is a beast. Freeman has cooled of from the back he used to be, but he's still a good number two back. I think Mike Evans has a big year with the new offense in Tampa. Robert Woods is solid but I've already talked about all the mouths to feed in LA between Gurley, Kupp, Cooks and Woods at the least. McDonald is eh. Golladay is a good flex play and probably more reliable than Woods.

Bench, ummmm. You drafted Drew Brees? My pro tip is you start Drew Brees. Unless he is on a bye. Watkins is a good back up considering what is always a possibility with Tyreek Hill. Valdes-Scantling has a chance to do something playing with Aaron Rodgers, but I don't see him doing anything worth while in a ten team league. Jordan Howard is apart of a crowded backfield in Philly. Golden Tate got suspended for trying to start a family.  Pollard is a good stash for now. Zeke getting paid hurts that value. Get outta here with Danny Amendola.

Grade for Joe - C+

Let's look at Josh Bohn's team, team name - Davante's Inferno




My thoughts - 

I really like his team. I don't love Goff as my starting QB, but he's fine. Jones should be fine. Ekeler isn't Melvin Gordon. It looks like it's not quite going to be the Austin Ekeler show while Gordon is holding out, but Ekeler looks to benefit the most. Adams is a stud. Edelman is a fine wide out number two especially with it being .5 PPR. OJ Howard is fine. Cooper Kupp is a great flex play.

On the bench, he has Zeke. When we drafted (Labor Day) there wasn't any Zeke news. But if Zeke is active week one you start him week one. Mike Williams is a high end backup. Miles Sanders could break out in Philly. James Washington could be the number two guy in a good Pittsburgh offense (typing that hurt my soul). I'm tired of hearing, "This is the year Donte Moncrief does something worth a damn." Hines is an okay backup. You can drop Rivers. If you want him that much he will probably be available when Goff has a bye.

Grade for Josh - A-

Now let's look at my team, team name - Lance's Lobos





Thoughts on my draft - I think I had a pretty good draft. Duh.

At QB I pretty much always wait so I got Kyler Murray pretty late. If he sucks? Oh well. I drop him and grab a new QB. If he's good? I have a steal.

I waited on running back because of how the draft fell to me. I had the last pick and on the turnaround there wasn't a back I loved so I went ODB and Michael Thomas. I think Montgomery could be really good as Chicago's lead back. Fournette is great whenever he actually gets on the field. We were robbed of seeing Derrius Guice as a true rookie because of injury. He had a bunch of hype in 2018. If he's that kind of player then I'm very much in luck.

Darren Waller is a dart throw. I've watched most of Hard Knocks and this guy has been through hell. There's a chance he's awesome. There's a chance he never does anything. If he doesn't do anything for too long I'll drop him and grab a new tight end.

Maybe Melvin Gordon does what Le'Veon Bell did last season. If he does play this year then the odds are he will be good. I didn't draft him too early in my eyes. I got him in like the sixth round. I didn't draft him to be a starter.

I essentially have the Kansas City running game between Damien Williams and End Game Spoiler. I kind of have a thing for Andy Reid running backs.

Jarvis Landry will have a key role in the Browns offense. Will I ever start him? Possibly.

Dede Westbrook could be the top wide out with the Jags

There's been rumblings about Ballage for the past two seasons. Maybe something comes of it. Maybe I drop him soon.

There's been some solid buzz around Anthony Miller too. He could be the top guy at receiver in Chicago at some point this season.

There you guys go. That's why I drafted how I did and how I feel about the way people in my league drafted. 

Nobody's perfect, but it's all about having fun!

No grade on my own team but how do you guys think I did?

Feel free to leave a comment below or talk to me on Twitter!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Recent Post

2017 NBA Draft, Draft Diary: Volume One