Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Introduction

Hello World!

      My name is Lance Morris, and next fall I will be in my second year at Bowling Green State University. I am majoring in Telecommunications, and I'm also a member of the Bowling Green Radio Sports Organization. As an organization, we broadcasted more then 140 games last season. As a Freshman, I was lucky enough to be on the call for three of those games. I announced two Men's College Basketball games. One against Eastern Michigan, and another against eventual M.A.C. Champion and NCAA Tournament participant in Akron. I also announced a baseball game where the Falcons took on the Eastern Michigan Eagles.

       Ever since I can remember my biggest passion in life has been sports. From going to watch guys like Brandon Inge and Curtis Granderson develop into great baseball players in my hometown of Toledo, Ohio, while they were playing with the Toledo Mud Hens (The Triple-A Team for the Detroit Tigers). Those were some the guys that fueled my love for baseball. It was the first sport I can say I truly loved. I remember playing baseball at the young age of four. Even then I saw things from a different perspective then other kids did, even if I didn't truly realize it yet. I remember watching my favorite team (the Tigers) lose 119 games in 2003.

       My favorite moment at Comerica Park was on August 5th, 2006.  I went there on a bus trip that my dad won tickets for. We went with Norm Wamer of what was at the time, 1470 The Ticket. I didn't know that they were going to end up in the World Series that year, but nonetheless, I got to watch a great game. They were playing the Cleveland Indians, and it also happened to be the same time the Indians were trying out "the artist formerly known as Fausto Carmona" as their closer. The Tigers were down going into the bottom of the ninth, and they had the top of their lineup coming to the plate. Curtis Granderson was the first out of the inning, but then Placido Polanco managed to get on base. Then Ivan "Pudge" Rodriguez came up to the plate. I remember vividly saying out loud, "Okay. This is it. Pudge is gonna hit a walk-off home run!" And what do you know, that's exactly what happened. It was a great moment in my young life, and it is something I will never forget.

       Other things like watching guys like Adam Morrison, Kevin Durant, and Jimmer Friedette tear up College Basketball. Adam Morrison was the player that really ignited my interest in basketball and it has only grown stronger since then. I vaguely remember watching Kobe and Shaq winning NBA Titles after Michael Jordan retired (his second time). I remember the Chauncey Billups and Ben Wallace led Detroit Pistons winning their first NBA title since "The Bad Boy Pistons" won a couple titles. But the first NBA finals I really got invested in was when the Dallas Mavericks played the Miami Heat, and no I'm not talking about when they beat LeBron James. I'm talking about when Dwayne Wade and Shaq beat the Mavericks in 2006 with the likes of Jason Williams and Antoine Walker also on the team. Since then, I watch college basketball as well as NBA basketball any chance I get. My favorite NBA team is the Orlando Magic. Yes, I know. They sucked last year. You don't have to tell me twice. When you trade away a player like Dwight Howard and get a bunch of lesser players in return, it seems to take a while to get your franchise back to winning ways. Either way, I like the pieces that they have in place.

       I also remember when guys like Quincy Morgan, Willie Green, and Kelly Holcomb when they were all on the Cleveland Browns. I watched them every Sunday I could, even though they stunk. Yeah, the Browns are on the right track since Owner Jimmy Haslem has made changes throughout the team, but I still haven't had the joy of rooting for a truly great NFL football team. Even though the Browns haven't been very good, I still have enjoyed watching some other NFL teams make great runs. It would be hard for me to tell you just how happy I was when I watched the Tim Tebow led Denver Broncos beat the Pittsburgh Steelers in the playoffs a few seasons ago. I, begrudgingly, watched teams like the New England Patriots and the Pittsburgh Steelers win five Superbowls between them. I really enjoyed watching the New York Giants end the perfect season of the New England Patriots. Even though that means that we'll still have to hear Mercury Morris talk about the 1972 Dolphins every year.

      Anyway, I'm using this blog as a tool to learn how to put my thoughts on sports into words. Especially, since my show, "Ball Night!", is on hold until next fall. So this might be rough at first, but I'm hoping it'll transform into something great.

Follow me on Twitter @TheLanceMorris



No comments:

Post a Comment

Recent Post

2017 NBA Draft, Draft Diary: Volume One