Monday, May 13, 2013

Reflection Of NBA Playoff Games In The East

Ah, the NBA Playoffs.

It's definitely one of my favorite times of the year. It is right up there with the NFL Playoffs, MLB Playoffs, NCAA Football's regular season, and March Madness. The only thing is that if my team isn't involved in the MLB playoffs; I'll have a hard time finding a reason to watch.

In the NFL, I always am watching even though the Browns have only been in the playoffs once in my lifetime. In MLB, (luckily) the Tigers have been in the postseason the last two seasons, but if they weren't in the playoffs, quite frankly, I probably wouldn't watch any postseason action. Baseball doesn't appeal to me in the same sense basketball and football do. I love watching college football. I can watch a random game that comes on between Baylor and West Virginia just as easily as I could watch Alabama verses Florida. College football is just magical in way that I can't real describe through words. March Madness, I love in every way, shape, and form. The team I grew up loving (The Ohio State Buckeyes) has gone deep into the tournament the last few seasons, but I still watch whether they're playing in the NIT, or they're in the NCAA Championship game. But onto the NBA Playoffs.

First, the Heat against the Bulls.

I want to start out by saying I love the way Tom Thibodeau coaches a basketball team. With any less of a coach I don't know if the Bulls get into the playoffs. Let alone beating the Brooklyn Nets in 7, or beating the defending NBA Champs on the road in game one of the Eastern Conference Semis. He has gotten so much out of the players he can. Nate Robinson has looked better then I've ever seen him outside of winning a couple Dunk Contests. Joakim Noah, who is playing hurt, has done more on one leg then a lot of other guys in the NBA can do on two. Carlos Boozer played out of his mind in game three and hopefully the Bulls can rely on him for at least 15+ a night. Jimmy Butler, who has been playing (almost) every minute of this series, has done everything but throw the kitchen sink trying to slow down LeBron James. Marques Teague, a rookie from last years stacked Kentucky Squad, has stepped in nicely as the back-up point guard the Bulls really needed to keep Nate from becoming ineffective. Marco Belinelli and Taj Gibson have also been key in keeping the Bulls in the series.

Oh, I almost forgot, you know how many guys the Bulls have hurt, right?

Well, of course there's Derrick Rose, who hasn't logged a minute all season after recovering from an ACL injury. And NO, I don't think he should come back unless he is 110% ready. I know Bill Simmons has said this, but the shadow of Gilbert Arenas is hanging over Derrick Rose. Arenas had the same type of injury and he rushed back way too soon and never, ever recovered. Luol Deng, the Bulls #1 scoring option most of the year has been going through various injuries throughout the year, but what's keeping him out right now is an illness. And also the Bulls are without guard Kirk Hinrich, who has been fighting a calf injury. So when you hear some one say, "Oh, the Bulls have no shot tonight!" Just calmly tell them they're wrong and talk about how they have been proving everyone wrong since the start of this season.

Now, I think I know what you're thinking. You're waiting for me to gush over LeBron and how great he is and all the things of that nature. Well, I'm not going to do that. Well -- actually-- I am. Just a little.

I'm prepared to say he is the greatest player in this generation. (Clearly, I'm not including Michael Jordan in this generation).

He's an athlete that basketball has never seen before. The things he does are so unique. He's not Jordan, he's not Magic, he's not truly like another player in NBA history. He has some qualities of some of the greatest players ever to play the game, but he is not a carbon copy of any of them. I think he is on his way to becoming a smothering defensive presence in the way Scottie Pippen was. He has that pass first mentality that Magic Johnson had. He is already one of the best players in NBA history, and technically, he hasn't hit his prime yet. Scary.

In the end, I see the Heat winning in six. I think the Bulls will come out and find a way to win another game. Whether it's in Chicago or South Beach. The Bulls will more then likely will there way to a win at least one more time before the Heat move on to the Eastern Conference Finals.


Knicks and the Pacers. It's not exactly Patrick Ewing against Reggie Miller, but Carmelo Anthony against Paul George will have to do. The Pacers are up 2-1 after they stole home court away by stunning the Knicks in game one. Even though this isn't the best comparison, I have a reason the Pacers will win this series in six games. The Pacers are a team that, at times, has trouble scoring. The Knicks are a team that, at times, has trouble defending.

 Does this sound familiar? If you watch college basketball it should ring a bell or two. It has some resemblance to Louisville and Michigan.
Even though the Knicks have the best player in the series in Carmelo Anthony. They do have more problems then the Pacers do right now. JR Smith has been struggling ever since the incident he had in game three last round against the Celtics. They're also trying to bring back Amar'e. Even though he's only played in 20 some games this season. Tyson Chandler and Kenyon Martin have been hobbled throughout the playoffs. And Jason Kidd hasn't scored a point in this series. Meanwhile, the Pacers have been clicking on all-cylinders. Paul George has been coming into his own as a star in the league. Roy Hibbert, if he keeps playing how he played on Saturday, will keep the Knicks from scoring in these playoffs as well as be a major challenge to the Heat. George Hill, Lance Stevenson, and DJ Augustin have been solid at the guard spot. David West has been solid. And guys like Tyler Hansbrough are contributing off the bench. People debated throughout the regular season who has the biggest challenge to the Heat? The Knicks or the Pacers. The Pacers should be the team that fills that role.

Later in the week, my thoughts on the West.

Follow me on Twitter @TheLanceMorris

No comments:

Post a Comment

Recent Post

2017 NBA Draft, Draft Diary: Volume One